How much do you know about home maintenance? Test your knowledge by responding to each of the statements with TRUE or FALSE.
1. You should not clean concrete floors unless they are painted. T/F
2. Never use salt for traction on icy sidewalks because it damages the pavement. T/F
3. Forced-air furnace filters need to be changed every three months. T/F
4. You should run hot water through the garbage disposal to help break down food scraps. T/F
5. Throw in a handful of sugar to prevent soot and add color to the fire in your fireplace. T/F
6. Firewood should be stored away from the fireplace in another room. T/F
7. You can use equal parts of vinegar and warm water per gallon to clean exterior windows. T/F
8. Your water heater should be set at 120 degrees Fahrenheit. T/F
9. Skylights should be inspected twice per year. T/F
10. If you notice film on your kitchen cabinets, you should clean your range hood grease filter. T/F
11. A qualified roofer should inspect your roof every three years. T/F
12. Noisy water pipes should be fixed at first notice of a leak. T/F
Let’s see how well you did. Here are the answers:
1. False-You can clean unpainted concrete floors with a solution of 4 to 6 tablespoons of sodium carbonate in a gallon of hot water. Mix scouring powder to the solution for tough jobs.
2. True- Use sand or cat litter.
3. True- A minimum of 3 months, more often if you have pets or allergies.
4. False- Use cold water because hot may cause fats to thicken and stick to the blades.
5. False- Use salt to prevent soot and add color; the salt combines with the water in the burning wood to create an acid that dissolves the soot. Color is created when the heat changes the salt’s electrons, producing photons of light.
6. False- Firewood should be stored outside, away from your house, and not directly on the ground.
7. False- Per quart of warm water.
9. False- Skylights should be inspected regularly as they are prone to leakage from cracks around seals.
12. False- They should be fixed promptly because the vibration that it causes can loosen fittings and start a leak.
45 Easy Ways to Sell Your Home Faster
Robin McCoy is a Texas Realtor with Keller Williams Realty. License #0582766
RobinMcCoyRealty.com | 214.226.3770 | RobinMcCoy@kw.com
The information contained, and the opinions expressed, in this article are not intended to be construed as investment advice. Robin McCoy Realty Group and Living in DFW does not guarantee or warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information or opinions contained herein. Nothing herein should be construed as investment advice. You should always conduct your own research and due diligence and obtain professional advice before making any investment decision. Robin McCoy Realty Group and Living in DFW will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on the information or opinions contained herein.