Find Your Realtor
Finding a Realtor can be easy or it can be hard. There are many questions that come to mind when hiring someone to assist you in what may be the largest financial transaction of your life. I have seen people take longer to choose a sofa than choosing a Realtor!
Do your homework. Ask your friends and family because they are going to tell you their experiences even if you don’t ask…so get that out of the way. HOWEVER when finding your Realtor make your own choice. I once had a friend say to me, “Robin, I am using a Realtor that I don’t know personally. Because if I want to be a brat I don’t want it to reflect on our friendship.” I TOTALLY respect that! You, as a buyer need to find a Realtor you can be totally honest and completely transparent with. This is important stuff.
What should you look for?
Experience and enthusiasm! Often enthusiasm will out rank experience. How many properties have they sold? If they are a newer agent ask what sort of support team do they have to ensure all questions and concerns are addressed. We were all new at our jobs at one point in time; this doesn’t mean we were bad at it…just that we needed assistance at times. Just make sure they have it.
Have a consultation meeting with each prospective Realtor to make sure you are on the same page and you LIKE them! They should give you at least 2 forms to sign an Information About Business Services (IABS) and a Buyer Tenant Representation Agreement. The first is required by the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) and discloses Realtor Agency Representation and the second is the agreement between you and the Broker that the agent will have a fiduciary duty to represent you, the buyer, in the transaction. Without this the broker/agent represents the seller by default.
Some Questions to Ask When Finding a Realtor
- Why did you become a real estate agent?
- Why should I work with you?
- What do you do better than other real estate agents?
- What process will you use to help me find the right home for my particular wants and needs?
- What are the most common things that go wrong in a transaction and how would you handle them?
- What are some mistakes that you think people make when buying their first home?
- What other professionals do you suggest we work with and what are their credentials?
- Can you provide me with references or testimonials from past clients?
- Should I Sell My House in 2021?
- Path to Home Ownership
- Rent vs. Buy: How to Decide What’s Best for You
- Two Important Impacts of Home Equity
- Many are Eager to Buy a Home Right Now